Sunday, April 28, 2013

Spring is here.

Just a short update. I eventually bought a SS mast traveller and that has solved all the lugsail difficulties.
Am looking at two or three projects in the immediate future.
  • making a set of new oars.
  • installing an ouboard engine well
  • maybe making a bowed tiller to get around the mizzen mast.
We have had an unusually cold prolonged spring. There is still tons of snow on the ground and the temperatures have been sub zero for most of the time.
I did take one crack at making the tiller. It was not successful and I will revisit it.

Come June 7 or so I will be heading up the Dempster Highway enroute to Inuvik in the Mackenzie River Delta. From there I hope to traverse the Yukon Arctic Coast. The trip will take about four weeks.

There is a lot to be done between now and then. This includes the task of learning to sail this boat competently.
I hope to take the boat out, fully loaded, for a test cruise sometime in late May.

No comments:

Post a Comment